Nebraska City Police Department

Frequent Asked Questions

*Pet Licensing*

Who must have a pet license?       City ordinance requires those living within the city limits of Nebraska City to license their dog or cat after the animal has reached 6 months of age. Those people living within a two mile zoning area of Nebraska City MAY do so for identification purposes.

How do you get a pet license?

Pet license applications can be picked up at City Hall, 1409 Central Avenue. Prior to receiving a pet license, the owner must show proof of valid rabies vaccination. After your application is accepted you will receive a receipt and a tag for your dog or cat to wear on its collar. If the tag becomes lost, report this information to City Hall to receive a new one.


How much does a pet license cost and when are they due?

The cost for a pet license is $30.00, however if you pet is spayed or neutered the fee is $10.00 There is also a discount for persons 63 years of age or older. Pet licenses expire on April 1st of each year, or within 30 days of your cat or dog reaching 6 months of age. Pet licenses become delinquent after April 10th.


What are the penalties if I don’t license my dog or cat?

If your pet is not licensed, your dog or cat could be impounded. In the event your pet is impounded the following fees will apply. First impoundment within a 12 month period $50.00; for the second impoundment $75; and for the 3rd or more impoundment, the fee is $100. In addition to the impoundment fees the owner may be liable for fees regarding the care and feeding of such animal.

*Laws Regarding Minors*

What is curfew and who does it affect?Curfew for minors is an established city ordinance, pertaining to people under the age of 16. The ordinance states that individuals under the set age are not allowed to be upon public streets, within public places, ride in or upon a vehicle or bicycle unsupervised within certain hours of the night. This time frame is from 11pm and 6am, except for Friday and Saturday which is from 12:30am to 6am. Exceptions to this ordinance include school events, church functions, or fraternal organization. In such cases curfew may be extended one half hour after the ended of such special function. Other exceptions include those persons being supervised by a legal guardian or parent.

What is the responsibility of owner of public places regarding curfew?   According to the city ordinance, “ It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation operating or having charge of any public place, to knowingly permit or suffer the presence of minors under the age of 16,” during curfew.

What are the laws pertaining to minors and Tobacco?

According to state law, it is illegal for a person to sell, give, or furnish in any way, any tobacco in any form whatever, or cigarettes, or cigarette paper, to any person under the age of 18. Nebraska City Code states, that it is unlawful for any person under the age of 18, to smoke cigarettes or cigars or use tobacco in any form whatever, or to be in possession of any tobacco product within the city.


What are the laws pertaining to minors and Alcohol?

The laws regarding minors and alcohol, State law states that any person under the age of 21 cannot consume or possess alcohol.


*Motor Vehicle Accidents*

When should I notify the police if I was involved in an accident?              The Police Department should be notified, about accidents involving injury, death or damages to property over $1,000. (Vehicles are included as property.) The Nebraska City Police Department, in most cases, will respond to motor vehicle accidents that have occurred on public property. SOME private property accidents are investigated based on criminal investigations and injury accidents.                                                     

If I have a minor accident, do I have to notify the police?                                     Minor accidents do not require police presence. In most case parties involved in the accident can exchange information and file an accident with the state if needed. Here is a link to the state accident reporting site: Nebraska Department of Roads

ANY accident involving injuries or damages over $1,000 need to be reported.


When can I obtain a copy of a report?Copies of accident reports can be obtained for $2 at the police department. The fee increases if they have to be mailed. Reports posted online may be viewed and printed from this site.

Police reports can be obtained during normal business hours 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday. Copies of police reports that involve criminal matters still under investigation, can not be given out unless approved by the county attorney.

Make a free website with Yola